Friday, November 21, 2008

Model for a day

getting my makeup done before the shoot - photo compliments of Sal of salrivela.blogspot.com

What a day yesterday. At the start, I wasn't expecting much from it, especially after such a long day in class. I had to present a research project for Intercultural Communication class with a few other classmates, and man am I happy that's over. I took too much work under my responsibility. I made a Powerpoint, but I wasn't expecting having to put the booklet together also and have to collect everyone's papers like a school teacher. I had to miss playing in a soccer game because a few of my group members never showed up at the library and I finished the project myself. So yeah, after all that and finally presenting the darn thing in class, I was ready to get into another state of mind and happiness.

When I got my haircut a week or so back, the owner of the academy, Sal, asked if I wouldn't mind coming back at a later date for photos. He has a small portrait studio in the school where he photographs hairstyles that his students create.

side note: he also keeps a photography blog which can be seen here:

((((---- http://salrivela.blogspot.com/ ----))))

I thought it would be fun so I agreed. After class finished on Thursday, I grabbed my friend Lauren's arm and asked her to come along with me to the photo shoot. She grinned wickedly like the impish friend of mine she is, and agreed.

Sal greeted us warmly when we arrived and directed me towards the back where I met his makeup artist friend, who came in specially for the day from her home in Rome. She worked on my makeup for 45min. Very dark eyes, a "60's" look. Lauren couldn't stop giggling and saying how different I looked. After makeup then came the hairstyling. One of Sal's students washed and styled the hair into a messy but chic look. I didn't think my hair could look so cool! I'm terribly uncreative with hairstyles, so it was a treat just to watch what he did. It was like watching an artist at work with a paintbrush. He cared so deeply and was extremely focused on how each bit of hair would lay. After another 30min of hairstyling, the "shoot" began. The setup was simple...white background with students in the room watching and Sal with his Hasselblad camera.

Sal and another model at the shoot

I wasn't nervous at all, just awkward cause I wasn't sure how to pose. My first few poses included a fist out in front, just like a superhero. I tried imagining how true models would look and act, but I finally gave up on that idea and just acted like my silly self. There was also another model there, a friend of Sal. (she's pictured in the zebra-print dress). I talked to her for a bit and she does modeling on the side for art academies and style salons. She's a very kind and funny person. She would be up for awhile, then we would switch. At one point, a student even got a hairdryer and pointed it at me while Sal photographed. Talk about dramatic! Lauren said I "looked amazingly gorgeous". Both Lauren and Sal told me I was "a natural". I just blushed and said something sarcastic.

me and Lauren looking fab together

We'll have to see what the photos look like! Sal's going to give me a CD of all the photos once they're edited. I saw a few of them on the LCD screen of the camera and honestly, I didn't recognize myself. Me and a high fashion look have never really combined. I saw a bit of my mom coming through the photos. I remember well her modeling photos. :)

At the end of the shoot, Sal invited all the students there (about 4 of them), the makeup artist, the other model, me and also Lauren to all get into a photo. It was like a curtain call for the shoot. It was so much fun! It was a creative but also family-like atmosphere. I think it was even more unique because it was a school where people really cared about their work. I don't believe I could have paid any amount of money in Florence to feel care and love like that.

When everything was done and the cameras put away, Lauren and I were discussing what we would do afterwards (it was around 11pm), and Sal invited us out to dinner with him, his co-worker, and the other model. We went to dinner at one of his favorite places that he visits 3 times a week. It was a tiny place owned by a husband and wife. Their menu changes daily and it felt more like a home than a restaurant. I would have never found this place on my own. Lauren couldn't believe our good fortune! She was having a blast, and so was I...still in my wild makeup and hairstyle. hehe

We had a full Italian dinner starting with plates of thinly sliced meats, cheeses, olives and sweet breads. The pasta was incredibly fresh and tasty with a creamy but not heavy pesto cheese sauce. Even the table wine was fantastic - not too bitter so we could sip it during the entire meal without it tasting like a "drink". After dinner, dessert. Digestivo with bread cookies and also rum cake. After that, small shots of Grappa. The best thing is, I just felt happy and satisified afterwards, not uncomfortably full.

We had multiple toasts during the meal and everyone discussed matters excitedly throughout the entire meal. We were there for two hours. Lauren was an absolute doll and talked about her vacations so far to surrounding countries. I talked with Sal about photography and his history with the school. We share very similar views about photography in general and it was a pleasure to discuss theories and shooting styles with him. He's an incredibly intelligent individual and riveting to talk with. A true gem of a person.

Lauren's going into the school on Monday for her own haircut, free of charge. I look forward to seeing Sal and his students again. Lauren's so cute...it was great to have her there with me so we could chatter away in easy English for a change!

Tomorrow night will be a blast too. An Italian friend of mine, GianLuca, is going to a death metal concert in Prato, Italy (only about an hour away). He commented that I probably wouldn't be interested in going, but I happily said I'd love to go. Even if I can't understand the lyrics because of the roaring, gruff vocals, I can still appreciate the skill of the musicians. There will also always be fascinating people to meet and it's a place I've never been. It's extremely fast paced and a concert is a concert!

1 comment:

Deaglos said...

Man talk about an 80's flash back in the style.
lol
Looks like you had a good time, and sorry you had some bums working with you on your project.
Your mom went with us to Nik's dance recital last night, and had a good time. Hope to get pixs up soon.