Saturday, December 13, 2008

Reflections on my second home

As my Italian time draws to a close and exams loom for the next week, I've been thinking a lot about the things I will treasure, I will miss, and the things I will wish I had done. Observing the actions of my fellow students, I was at first worried that I would be selling myself short because I haven't done the same as them. Most of them have been traveling to different countries and cities every weekend, and when they're in Firenze, they all travel together and are constantly in each other's company. This was a major point of loneliness for me when I first arrived. I thought to myself, "I obviously need to get with an American friend group so I can feel included and accepted." Nationalities flock together was the easy assumption and hope.

I traveled with one or two fellow Americans at the beginning of the semester. It was great for photos and historical learning. I saw my share of Jesus and the Madonna paintings. Wow! a painting from 1230. Incredible! a timeless fresco. I'm grateful that I was able to see artworks that were painstakingly crafted by artisans of the past. But I wanted something more. I'm a people person. I wanted to connect and very much feel at home around others.

I think that's why my wisest decision during my time here was to spend most weekends here in Firenze. The roads and faces in businesses are now familiar and meaningful to me. I've made more Italian friends than American. If I had traveled too much just to see things, I'd feel like a disconnected tourist. What's the fun in just seeing things to say you've seen them? The last two months especially have been an incredible journey since I've really hit a good stride here. I've found myself smiling just to myself while riding the bus or walking around town, just for the simple fact that I feel so happy here. I have people who care about me and are always willing to share a laugh, story, or tell me about their day. People in the market, like Avi from Romania who works at a jewelry stand, or Carlos and Tweety (I don't even know what her real name is) who both work at a coffee shop across from my school. I can see and feel the warmth from them when I greet them.

Originally, it was painful for me to not be able to communicate effectively with my Italian skills. I only knew a few words before traveling here in September. Everywhere I went, I tried to summon up enough courage to ask for something in Italian, and felt completely disheartened when all I received in return was a bored answer in English. I first took this to be an insult to my Italian. Like saying, 'you're butchering the Italian language, please just speak English.' I felt extremely embarrassed also.

It all tied into my very much wanting to talk and meet people. I eventually changed my social perspective: not to put so much importance on trying to speak Italian if it so negatively effected my self-confidence when out and about in the city. I studied it at home, worked on it in class and spoke some with my home-family. I learned enough key words that I could feel comfortable. Conversational Italian is still very difficult for me.

I absorb Italian like a sponge though. I'm constantly hearing it every day. Most of my free time is spent hanging out with Italian friends. And unless they're directly speaking to me, they all speak Italian with each other. I'm finally at the point where I can understand the gist of what they're saying. That's a huge confidence boost for me in the Italian department.

I was on the city bus yesterday traveling to class, and I overheard two Italians talking right behind me. I understood that they were exclaiming about how bad the riots in Athens, Greece, were. Just a small moment, but it made me feel good that I could both understand them and that I was also aware of the crisis in Greece.

I've been following news through the Internet like crazy. It makes me feel much more connected to everything. I don't even miss TV or news shows. Google.com/News is all I need. It has feeds from all major outlets, which I think helps guard against right/left bias.

More on Florence though - last night was my last time to see the whole Taxi Drivers band in concert. Stevio, Frank Dd, Lorenzo, and GianLuca have been a cornerstone of my Florentine experience. Not only are they incredibly talented musicians, but they are the most down-to-earth people I have met here. Vocalist Stevio works in public relations for a hotel chain in Firenze. Guitarist/violinist/flutist Frank Dd works at a market in Prato, Italia. Drummer Lorenzo teaches history of religion at a school in Prato. Bassist GianLuca works at a bank here in Firenze. Everyone has their day jobs, and they never actually have time to rehearse. They just meet at the show a few hours prior to do soundcheck and then play. Very free spirited.

I had a great time rocking out with them last night. I felt very natural singing along with Stevio and also sharing the mic with Frank. It was a packed house and a good number of my American classmates finally came by to see me.

After the show, as has been custom for a few weeks, I'll just help the band pack up their gear. We'll also just hang out and talk, still enjoying the glowing excitement from the night. Lorenzo is very similar to me with weirdness and a healthy sense of humor. From last night:
Lorenzo and I having fun as very weird people

behind the drums

Lorenzo and I over-dramatique with roses again

Overall, I'm not ready to leave yet. I'm looking forward to seeing GianLuca, Frank and Lorenzo again next Saturday when they perform at Loonees. I don't need a big going-away party; I just want to be with my friends here. I'm just hooked on the essence of European people and the uniqueness of this city. I can't help but feel great when my friends here ask me when I'm coming back. I know I will. I hope it will be very soon. This city has become a home to me.

No comments: