Thursday, September 4, 2008

waiting for the start

I'm looking forward to starting school more and more. It ends up that I don't start orientation until tomorrow, and then school finally starts on the 8th. I love the "mum" I'm living with, Ms. Elisabetta Vannini. She speaks Italian, Spanish, French and English. Out of the languages that I can speak also, she's much more comfortable with French than English, so it's neat that I'm relying on my French much more than I thought I would. We speak about 70% French and 30% English. Her daughter Alice seems very cool (has a ton of American movie posters in her room like Pulp Fiction) but I haven't met her yet.

I'm getting to know the city of Florence little by little. I learned yesterday that you really must pay attention which way the bus is headed when it stops at a location. I was so excited that a bus was my line number (#31, #32, #33) that I immediately hopped on it yesterday. It took me way out of town into tiny suburbs. When I started to lose sight of large buildings and churches, I knew I was in the wrong place. The bus got to the end of the line, everyone got out, and I was still just sitting there. So I cautiously asked the bus driver if the bus would be returning into Florence. And of course I asked in English. He shook his head, crossed his arms, and I gathered from his Italian that he only spoke French and Italian. Another test for my French. I don't think he was impressed though, cause he just tapped his watch in my face and counted out the 10 minute wait with his fingers then walked away. I just meekly walked back onto the bus and selected a back seat. Finally, 20 min later, I was back into town. An interesting experience nonetheless. Luckily though I learned from it and the 3-4 times I used the line again, I haven't picked a wrong direction line.

I was suppose to have my first day of orientation today, but when I showed up this morning, they indicated to me that my school region goes tomorrow, and students more in the northeastern US went today. So I had a healthy, wandering walk about the city and then (successfully!) found my way back to the apartment on Via B. Accolti again. My feet need to toughen up a bit...they're use to being car-pampered. So I slept for 5 hours. Overall, a good and relaxed day.

Tomorrow is orientation and I also need to track down a digital SD card reader for my camera. I remember specifically putting it in my suitcase, but I switched suitcases before leaving home so alas, I don't have one now. Need...photos...photo-imaging brain...is...thirsty....

1 comment:

Bre said...

lol I would get lost on the bus too! That sounds like so much fun though. I would love to do something like that... almost did but for Spain when I was taking Spanish. My mum wouldn't let me though. :( Sounds like you're having fun though & I would DIE if I could not take pictures! I won't have my camera for a week soon. lol Can't wait to see photos!