Sunday, September 14, 2008

No translation needed

Except for meeting and conversing with a few tourists at small night clubs this weekend, I haven't done anything exotic. All of my recently-made school friends were on trips to Pompeii, hiking the Alps, among other things. I thought I would be sick, so I stayed put. It makes for a lonely weekend though. My host family has had their share of busy duties also, so I've been mainly just sticking by myself. I have noticed though that it's harder to find people to do things with because I live without peer roommates, unlike many of my fellow roommates. I do get a good sense of what being a foreigner is with living here, but at the same time I crave some meaningful conversation with other people. It's difficult to do so at home, with me knowing hardly any Italian but again, I know I'm here to work on it. It's a process, that's for sure.

So I went out for a walk today and came across a new "friend". Oh how I've missed animals. I came across an Italian cat today near a car, and I leaned down to say hello. He immediately trotted over to me, and we spent the next 15 minutes just hanging out. I sat on a bench corner, and he plopped into my lap and we just sat together for a few minutes like old friends. An elderly Italian man came over and said a few words to me, but the cat and I just looked up at him and couldn't understand a word. I smiled though, just like a foreigner does. At least I know "ciao". Photos to come later.

3 comments:

CB said...

Trip to Pompeii???????????
Hiking the Alps?????????
Oh man, that would have been fun for you! Sorry you missed going with them... :(
Glad you found a 'furry friend' that 'understood' you! :)
Remember, try your French, then English...Most know one or the other...
Keep the blogs coming!
Love ya,
Chaucer's friend... :)

Deaglos said...

Brit just member we miss ya an wuvs ys.
When ya get back we will have to goto Buffalo's for some wings and drinks.

grace said...

Your blog reminded me of a scene in Breakfast at Tiffanies ... when Audrey Hepburn found the cat!!! I can't wait for pictures.